+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Yellow Tongue

BuildingForums Member

Yellow Tongue

We are looking to pull up an outdoor balcony because we found water was getting in and the base was only yellow tongue particleboard - anyone know whether you can ever use yellow tongue in external construction?

Banned
    I would be interested to know the answer to that as well. I have heard of people doing it, but at the end of the day yellow tongue is just chip board with a wax coating, which makes it vulnerable to the elements and not recommendable for external use. I know of other builders who prefer to use a compressed FC sheet. The difference in price is huge though with the FC sheet costing roughly 4 -5 times as much as structa floor.

BuildingForums Member
    As far as im aware you can use yellow tongue for external decks but like all tiled decks with ply or FC sheeting they need to be completely waterproofed.

BuildingForums Member
    extra: if you are using chip board flooring the wax covering has to be sanded off before the water proofing membrane is applied, its the same with internal bathroom floors where chip board has been used. It has been found that most membranes are not staying attached to the flooring due to the wax causing cracking in the floor tiles and the membrane itself.

BuildingForums Member
    Thanks Socold!!

BuildingForums Member Sandeep_Creative's Avatar
    Brushing off the wax from the layred panels is necessary bfore applying any waterproofing materials, the wax does not allow the external materials to settel properly on the board, even if it is paint or you are trying to glue something on it. You must chip it off for better results.

+ Reply to Thread